White Bean Soup
By Deen Brothers
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 15 1/2-ounce cans white beans
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 small round loaves bread optional
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
In a soup pot, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion; saute for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic; saute about 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in the tomato paste. Add white beans and broth; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor; puree until fairly smooth.
If desired, slice the top off each of the loaves and hollow out about 1 1/2 cups of bread from each. (Save bread to make croutons or bread crumbs later.) Ladle the soup into the bread bowls and garnish with parsley.