Spicy Corn and Crab Puffs
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 15
- for frying peanut oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 (8 oz) box self-rising corn muffin mix
- 1 lb well drained and picked clean of shells lump or backfin crabmeat
- 1 cup thawed and drained frozen corn kernels
- 5 white and light green parts, trimmed and chopped green onions
- 2 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a deep-fryer or heavy-bottomed pot, heat enough oil to come halfway up the sides of the pot, to 350 °F.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs. Stir in the corn muffin mix. Fold in the crab, corn kernels, green onions, hot sauce, salt and pepper. *Cook’s Note: If the batter looks too thin, add a little more self-rising flour to thicken.
Using 2 spoons, carefully drop heaping tablespoons of the crab mixture into the oil and fry, turning often for an even golden-brown color and crispness, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Arrange them on a serving platter and season with additional hot sauce, salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.