Lots O’Meat Lasagna
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 15
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 2 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1 (5 oz) package grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large lightly beaten eggs
- 9 oven ready lasagna noodles
- 2 (8 oz) packages shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350 °F.
In a large saucepan, combine ground chuck, sausage onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat until meat is browned and crumbled; drain.
Return meat to pan and add oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 to 45 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese, Parmesan, parsley, and eggs.
Spoon 1/4 of sauce into bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking pan. Place 3 uncooked lasagna noodles on top of sauce. Do not overlap noodles. Spread 1/3 of cottage cheese mixture over noodles, top with 1/4 of sauce and 1/3 mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers, ending with sauce, reserving 1/3 of mozzarella cheese.
Bake 45 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and bake 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.