Jack’s Favorite Pasta Salad with Loads of Veggies
By Jamie Deen
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 6
- 12 ounces wagon wheel pasta
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 2 carrots, well-scrubbed and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1 broccoli crown (12 ounces), cut into bite-size florets
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
Add the pasta to a large pot of boiling salted water. Cook the pasta for 3 minutes less than recommended on the back of package. When the timer goes off, add the edamame and carrots and cook for 2 minutes longer. Next, add the broccoli and continue boiling for 1 minute more.
Drain the pasta and veggies in a colander. Rinse really well under cold water to stop the cooking process. (Make sure you drain off all the liquid so you don’t water down your salad.) Transfer the pasta and veggies to a large serving bowl, along with the tomatoes and mozzarella.
Combine the oil, vinegar, mayonnaise, sugar, and salt and pepper in a jam jar and shake it until it’s all mixed up. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Pour the dressing over the pasta, toss well, and serve warm, though you can make ahead if you need to.