A favorite dish from Paula Deen’s Family Kitchen.
Fried Cheese Grits
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: prep day before
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 12
- 4 cups milk
- ¼ pound unsalted butter
- 1½ cups quick grits
- 1 whole eggs
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ cup bacon bits, cooked
- ½ cup green onion, finely sliced
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 eggs
- self-rising flour, for dredging
- peanut oil, for frying
In a sauce pan, bring the milk to a simmer.
Add grits and butter and stir for one minute. Reduce heat to medium heat and cook for 5-6 minutes then set aside.
Incorporate the rest of the ingredients and pour onto a sheet pan. Store in refrigerator over night.
Take the grits out the refrigerator and cut into 1-inch by 2-inch pieces.
Whip the eggs, and dip the grit pieces in the eggs, then dredge them in the flour. Fry each coated piece in 350˚F oil.