By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: 5 minutes
- Servings: 5
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup see Cook's Note* cream-style corn
- 3/4 cup self rising flour
- 1 cup self rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup for greasing pan vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated optional sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon optional cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 375 °F. Generously season a cast iron skillet with up to 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Preheat the pan either in the oven or on the stove over medium-high heat.
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until combined. Pour batter into the preheated cast iron skillet. Place skillet in the oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. If making individual size cornbreads in smaller pans, they will require a shorter cooking time.
* Cook’s Note: Frozen creamed corn is sold in the frozen vegetables section of most grocery stores. It is much better than using canned corn.