Black Licorice Cupcakes
By Stefani Pollack
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 48
- 1¾ cups cake flour, not self-rising
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup dark corn syrup
- ⅓ cup blackstrap molasses
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3 teaspoons anise extract
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¾ cup butter
- 2¼ cups powdered sugar
- 1½ teaspoons anise extract
- ¾ teaspoon orange extract
- black licorice for topping cupcakes, optional
Preheat oven to 350˚ F.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add sugar, corn syrup, molasses, and butter and mix until fully combined.
In a small bowl, mix eggs, oil, sweetened condensed milk, and anise extract. Add contents of small bowl to the medium-sized bowl and mix until just combined. Add milk and mix until just combined.
Fill mini cupcake liners almost all the way to the top.
Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
Note: If you prefer full-sized cupcakes, simply fill 24 full-sized liners and increase the baking time to 30 minutes.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat butter on high speed with an electric mixer for three minutes until light and fluffy. Mix in powdered sugar a little bit at a time. Mix in extracts.
Spread or pipe on cooled cupcakes. Optionally, top cupcakes with black licorice pieces.