This beef stew recipe warms you from the inside out and is the ultimate cold-weather comfort food. The bacon fat and sherry provide added richness!
By Paula Deen
- Prep time: 1 hour
- Cook time: 1 hour to 1 hour and 45 minutes
- Servings: 8
- 1 cup largely diced carrots
- 1 cup largely diced celery
- 2 cups largely diced onion
- 1 cup largely diced parsnips
- 1 cup largely diced bell pepper
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cups largely diced potatoes
- 2 1/4 lbs largely diced stew beef
- 52 oz unsalted beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon, plus more for dusting Paula Deen House Seasoning
- 1/2 cup or olive oil rendered bacon fat
- 2 cups sherry
Dust stew meat with Paula Deen House Seasoning. Sauté meat with 1/4 cup bacon fat or olive oil, in 1/2 batches. Fully brown meat, pull it from pan and set aside.
Add onions to bacon grease and sauté until golden brown. Add sherry and deglaze pan, scraping to release. Take onions out and add to sautéed beef. Add 1/4 cup bacon fat to pan and sauté remaining vegetables. Add butter and 1/2 cup flour. Blend in and cook for one minute. Add 1 cup sherry then add beef stock heat, bay leaves and seasoning and simmer for 45 minutes or bake at 350 °F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender.
Garnish finished stew in individual servings with scallions and parsley.