It wouldn’t be the holidays without lots of dessert, and you just can’t beat a homemade pie. Thanksgiving is even more special when you cap it off with a piece of creamy pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top. Nothing warms you up during those fall and winter months quite like a fresh-baked piece of apple pie with melting ice cream. And let’s not forget decadent pecan pie and yummy sweet potato pie!
No matter what your sweet tooth is begging for, Paula has just the pie recipe for the occasion. Try a twist on the classic, like an Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie or an Apple Crunch Pie With Red Wine Caramel. Or try something a little different, like an Eggnog Custard Pie, Peppermint Pie or Paula’s famous Grits Pie. Any of the pies in our round-up are sure to impress your friends and family.
Don’t forget these pie dough tips when it’s baking time:
- Keep all of your ingredients cold. Don’t overwork the dough and chill at least 30 minutes before rolling out (an hour is better!).
- You can make your crust a day ahead of time. Just let it rest on the counter for a few minutes before rolling out.
- You can make your crust a month ahead of time! Wrap in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil or place in a freezer bag and freeze. Let thaw in the fridge for 24 hours before using.
- Get creative! Use a fork to crimp the edges, use a cookie-cutter to cut out dough and lay the shapes for a decorative edge, or crimp your crust for a classic scalloped look (pictured above).
Get more tips from these Quick Cooking Classes episodes:
Get all of the pie recipes here: Holiday Pie Round-Up
Recipes included in this collection:
- Mom’s Apple Pie
- Mystery Pecan Pie
- Pumpkin Pie
- Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie
- Truffle Pie
- Old-Fashioned Apple Pie
- Old-Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie
- Mama’s Sweet Potato Custard Pie
- “Loveless” Pecan Pie
- Grits Pie
- Pumpkin Rum Pie
- Bourbon Pecan Pie
- Pumpkin Pecan Pie
- Savannah High Apple Pie
- Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
- Apple Crunch Pie With Red Wine Caramel
- Crunch Top Apple Pie
- Eggnog Custard Pie
- French Coconut Pie
- Chocolate Pecan Pie
- Peppermint Pie
- Sweet Potato Praline Crunch Pie
- Paula’s Perfect Pie Crust
What’s your favorite pie to make for the holidays?