We’ve all heard a lot about coconut oil and its various uses in the kitchen; that’s why it’s no surprise that nowadays you can find it in every grocery store. A lot of people believe that this oil is one of the greatest superfoods available to us because of its many health benefits, while numerous others believe that it should be avoided because of its high content of saturated fat.
Whatever your belief of this subject, we do have to admit that this tropical oil has many uses outside of the kitchen! You don’t necessarily need to eat it to make the most out of it, so today I want to share with you six of the best ways to incorporate it into your everyday life.
- Makeup remover: coconut oil is by far one of the most effective natural makeup removers on the market. Rub gently into your eyes to remove eye shadows and rinse with a cloth and warm water. The oil will help you get rid of all dirt and makeup while hydrating your skin and the best part is that it won’t irritate your eyes.
- Moisturizer: another great use for coconut oil! Massage it over your entire body to hydrate your skin, focusing on rougher areas, like elbows, knees, and feet. It also makes the perfect shaving cream and after-shave lotion!
- Hair mask: apply it to the ends of your hair, and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Then, shower using shampoo like you always do. This will repair dead ends, hydrate your hair, and make it shine!
- Lip balm: apply it directly to renew chapped lips. Its delicious tropical aroma and flavor will have you coming back for more!
- Shoe polish: one of my favorite ways to use coconut oil! It works particularly great on rain boots, leather, and patent leather shoes.
- Rust eliminator: rub it on anything that’s rusty, let it sit for a couple of hours, and wipe it off. You’ll notice a big difference right away!
Even if you don’t cook with it, I think you’ll agree that it’s a great, natural product to keep around the house. What are your favorite ways to use coconut oil?
Claudia Deen is a Certified Health Coach based in Savannah, GA, and the founder of The Trendy Smoothie. Claudia is a brown belt in karate, thirteen-time half-marathon finisher, seven-time marathon finisher, and two-time Ironman 70.3 finisher. After a career in advertising, her passion for fitness and fresh eating led to a career centered on helping others achieve a healthier lifestyle. In 2013, Claudia married Paula’s son, Bobby. You can follow Claudia on her blog, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.