February 17 marks one of the most important, yet overlooked, holidays of the year—National Random Acts of Kindness Day! It tends to sit in the shadow of Valentine’s Day, but it’s just as valuable a day—maybe even more so.
We love holidays that encourage kindness and friendship because the world can certainly use a little extra kindness. In fact, in our opinion, we should treat each day like it’s Random Acts of Kindness Day by treating others with understanding and compassion; however, we like to really go out of our way on February 17th.
If you’re looking for some ideas on how to make someone smile, whether a friend or a perfect stranger, you can surely brighten someone’s day with one or more of these random acts of kindness.
- Pay for the coffee of the person behind you in the drive-through.
- Offer to help an elderly neighbor or a first responder with lawn care.
- Clean up a local park.
- Bring doughnuts for your coworkers.
- Volunteer at a local soup kitchen or food pantry.
- Organize a coat drive.
- Smile at a stranger.
- Make dinner for a friend.
- Leave a love note for your significant other.
- Leave treats in your mailbox for your mail carrier.
- Help someone carry their groceries.
- Send a care package to a member of the armed forces.
- Donate books to your local Little Free Library.
- Let someone into traffic.
- Make your family’s favorite meal.
- Donate your clothes to a local non-profit or a friend in need.
- Buy your friend a book they’ve wanted to read.
- Scrape the ice from your neighbors windshield in the morning.
- Plant a tree.
- Return someone’s grocery cart for him or her.
- Write a glowing review for a restaurant you love.
- Put coins in an expired meter.
- Tip extra—bonus happy points for leaving a nice note with it.
- Send extra school supplies to your kids’ teachers.
- Tell someone how much you care!
What kind act do you have planned for National Random Acts of Kindness Day? We’d sure love some more ideas for kindness. Let us know in the comments below!